Getting Started with Memsource Cloud
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Sign In
- 3 Create Your First Project
- 4 Start Translating
- 5 Create Additional User Accounts
- 6 Assigning Translation Jobs to Linguists
- 7 Uploading Translations to Memsource Cloud
- 8 Getting the Completed File
- 9 Videos
This Getting Started guide is intended for Administrators, Project Managers (including users of the Freelancer and Personal editions). Linguist users should follow this link.
Keep in mind that there are two components:
- Memsource Cloud, the web-based environment in which project managers can create and maintain projects, translation memories and the term bases (video).
- Memsource Editor (available as a desktop application free for download or Web Editor for online translating), in which the actual translation takes place (video).
To access Memsource Cloud, you need to have the following login information:
- Memsource Cloud url, such as http://cloud.memsource.com
As soon as you have this, you can sign in and start working. Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari browsers are recommended. The two most recent versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer are supported.
Create Your First Project
Once signed in, you can create your first project with translation memories, term bases and, most importantly, files for translation.
Click on the plus symbol next to Projects in the left navigation panel or on the New button in the Projects panel.
Select name, source and target languages and all the other settings. Most of the settings can be edited later except for:
- The source language
- Target languages can be added, but not removed
- Workflow steps can be added, but not removed
A window with your new project will be opened. You can add files for translation, add or create new Translation Memories and Termbases.
Let's begin with uploading a file for translation:
- In the Job section click on the New button.
- A page for selecting the file and specifying the import setting will open.
- The default setting is sufficient for most of the file formats (for example Word), so you can select your document and click on Create.
New TM and TB
After the job is uploaded and prepared for translation, the window with your project will open again. Before you start translating your job, you should attach some Translation Memory to your project in order to be able to save the translation and use it for other jobs and projects.
- Simply click on Create New in the Translation Memories section.
- A new window will open - just add a name and click on Create.
- TM (Translation Memory) will be created with the project's source and target languages and it will be automatically assigned to your project.
You can create Termbase (TB) in a similar fashion.
Now you can start translating your job. Every time you confirm a segment in the Memsource Editor or Web editor, it will be saved into TM and can be used in your other translation jobs.
See our My 1st Project video on the Memsource Youtube channel.
Translating in Memsource Editor
1. Install Memsource Editor
2. Download the bilingual MXLIFF
Select the job and download the bilingual MXLIFF file for translation via the Download menu in your project. Open the file in Memsource Editor to start the translating process.
You can also assign translation jobs to other users, e.g. linguists (see Assigning jobs to Linguists) and notify them via the Email... menu under Tools, so that they can sign in to Memsource Cloud and start translating.
Translating in Memsource Web Editor
Jobs can be translated on-line in Memsource Web Editor. Simply click on the name of the job and Web editor will open in a new tab of your web browser.
Web editor is only recommended for smaller jobs and for users with a stable and fast Internet connection. Otherwise Memsource Editor should be used instead.
Create Additional User Accounts
Create user accounts for your colleagues - project managers - and linguists by going to Setup - Users and then clicking on New User and selecting the appropriate user role.
Send Login Info
After creating a user, send them their login info using the Email Login button. The email will include their username and a link for the user to create their own password. Select multiple users to send the email to multiple users at once.
Assigning Translation Jobs to Linguists
Now you are ready to include your linguists into the process. Once you have created linguist user accounts, you can select the jobs in question and click on the Edit button to assign translation jobs to them, and then notify them of the new translation jobs via the Email... feature located under the Tools button in your project. It is advisable to use the default email template, which includes important personalized information for the linguist, such as the identification of the translation job assigned to them, a link to the Getting Started Guide for Linguists and also their username, so that they can sign in to Memsource Cloud and pick up the job. For security reasons, their password is not included. You can use the Email Login button to let users create their own passwords.
This is essential for the Memsource Editor user:
- Server url, such as http://cloud.memsource.com;
- Getting Started Guide for Linguists
Uploading Translations to Memsource Cloud
Translations get uploaded to Memsource Cloud automatically, whenever segments get confirmed. Additionally, the bilingual MXLIFF file can be uploaded to Memsource Cloud in one go, via the Upload to Server feature in Memsource Editor or manually, via Tools - Upload in a Memsource Cloud project.
Getting the Completed File
To get the translated file in its original format, go to Download -> Completed File in your project.